Click on “read more” and you will be among the very first to discover the stunning four new Omega full ceramic GMT diving watches. Live taken pictures and all the technical details are waiting for you …
Hi everybody, it´s Saturday night, June 11th, and I am sitting in my office in Vienna starting to write this story that will go online next Tuesday at 03:30 a.m. my time (CEST).
Yesterday, June 10th, I was in Switzerland in Biel at the Omega Headqurter to discover the brand new Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK collection. It was an exclusive advance presentation for a selected, very small number of insider journalists.
The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK will be presented in New York next Monday, June 13th, in the evening and I am allowed to go online at 09:30 p.m. New York time (EDT), this means Tuesday 03:30 a.m. Vienna time (CEST).
It is thrilling right now to prepare this story for you! 🙂
Let us now go straight to the heart of the matter…
The four new Omega watches you see here are in fact brand new. They have not been presented during Baselworld 2016 last March. The full ceramic watches are a line extension to the Seamaster Planet Ocean collection. From the Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon that was first released in 2013, Omega has evolved its ceramic expertise to produce this Seamaster Planet Ocean Deep Black. The four new 45,5 mm timepieces are the combination of a GMT model and a diving watch. The technical challenge however was to produce a diving watch made entirely from ceramic and ensure that it could withstand the pressures of the ocean at a depth of 600 meter = 2000 feet = 60 bar.
The goal has been achieved, and the result is a state-of-the-art creation that stands alone in the industry.
Discover the ten unique technical features of the new Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK watches:
- In a first for the Planet Ocean, the case body of each Deep Black model has been crafted from a single block of ceramic. The same material is also used for the unidirectional bezels as well as the dials that feature new Arabic numerals.
- On the Black and 18 carat Sedna gold models, the ceramic cases and dials have been polished for a glossy effect. The blue and red versions are brushed for a matt effect that offers better visibility underwater.
- A new GMT-ring has been fixed on the dial while the diving scale sits on the ceramic bezel using Liquidmetal or Omega Ceragold.
- For the Black model, Liquidmetal is also used to create the He-symbol on the Helium valve and Omega-symbol on the crown. On the blue and red models, these two features are coloured using a rubber injection.
- For the first time, rubber has been blended with ceramic to create a unique bezel. On the blue and red models, this colourful innovation can be seen covering the first 15 minutes. Another useful feature for divers.
- In another remarkable first, Omega has created an oriented caseback so that the engraved wording sits perfectly in position. This has been achieved through Omega´s new and patented ceramic Naiad Lock. The alveol design of the caseback also offers an aesthetic wave pattern.
- Why the colours? Imagine you are descending below the waves of the ocean. At 5 meter, the first colour that is no longer visible is red. That means that this military divers’ watch will gain a camouflage advantage by gradually matching your wetsuit. Go deeper to 275 meter and the last colour you’ll see, based on light penetration, is the exact shade of blue found on the blue Deep Black model. Finally, at a depth of 300 meter, the ocean will turn black. The 18 carat Sedna gold model is a lifestyle piece built for people who enjoy time on deck 🙂 .
- The hands and indexes of the watches are created from 18 carat Sedna gold or 18 carat white gold. They are coated in white Super-LumiNova that emits green and blue colors.
- The black rubber straps have been designed to give the appearance of being fabric. They feature contrasting stitching and have also been treated with an anti-bacterial coating. A wave pattern can be found on the underside. On the Sedna gold model, the strap is water-resistant leather, with the same anti-bacterial rubber underside. The foldover clasp is made from ceramised titanium, while the clasp cover has been produced in ceramic with two types of finishing.
- The Deep Black watches are powered by the antimagnetic Omega Master Chronometer Co-Axial calibre “8906”. Resistant to magnetic fields greater than 15,000 gauss, each watch has passed the 8 tests set by the Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology (METAS). This higher standard of precision and performance is in addition to traditional COSC-certification. The watch comes with a four year warranty.
Read everything about the new METAS certification here …
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK blue
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK red
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK black
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK Sedna Gold
And once again all four new Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK models at a glance …
Before showing you dozens of live taken pictures let me present you the technical data and the prices of the watches …
- Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer Calibre 8906
- Watch officially certified by METAS
- Self-winding in both directions
- Jewels: 38
- Frequency: 25.200 A/h (= 3.5 Hz)
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Magnetic resistant > 15’000 Gauss
- GMT/2nd zone-time indication
Silicon “Si14” balance spring
Omega free sprung-balance
Co-Axial Escapement, 3 levels
2 barrels mounted in series
Special luxury finish: Rhodium-plated rotor and bridges; Geneva waves in arabesque; Blackened screws, barrels and balance wheel
- Central hour-minute-seconds-GMT hands, date window at 3H
- Case: Black ceramic [ZrO2]
- Dial: Black ceramic [ZrO2]
- Bracelet: Rubber
- Clasp: Black ceramic [ZrO2] – Titanium
- Diameter: 45.50 mm Height: 17.18 mm
- Water resistant up to: 60 bar (600 meter / 2000 feet)
- Polished-brushed case-body
- Uni-directional rotating bezel; polished black ceramic [ZrO2] ring with Liquidmetal® diving scale; dot at 12H with white Super-LumiNova (green emission)
- Screw-in crown with Ω in Liquidmetal®; helium escape valve with “He” in Liquidmetal® at 10H
- Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
- New Naiad Lock ceramic [ZrO2] caseback with chromium nitride marks
- Polished black ceramic [ZrO2] dial with 18K white gold applied indexes; white Super- LumiNova (blue emission)
- New applied Arabic numerals
- New transferred minutes track
- Blackened GMT-ring
- Dial engraved with [ZrO2] (under center hole); “Seamaster”, “GMT” and “600m / 2000ft” in transferred orange
Blue emission : hour & seconds hands & GMT hands (in line with indexes) Green emission: minute hand (in line with the dot on bezel). Seconds & GMT hands with varnished orange tip / arrow
- New integrated black structured rubber strap with black rubber lining
- Foldover clasp, ceramic top-bottom covers and pushers; ceramised titanium frame-spring folders
- Fitting : 22 mm between lugs, 20 mm on clasp
- 4-year warranty
- Delivered with a deep red Master Chronometer certification card, ensuring that the watch has passed the tests certified by METAS
10.400 CHF plus VAT (black, blue, red) and 13.900 CHF plus VAT for the Sedna Gold version
To better understand how to use the second zone-time function, the so called GMT-function, please watch the short video …
>>> Of course you all know me guys and therefore I am sure it is not a surprise that I have made dozens of detailed pictures of the new watches for you.
On the following pages you will able to discover the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean DEEP BLACK collection as if you would have the watches in your hands 🙂