500 pieces of the unique Oris wristwatch with a mechanical altimeter/barometer are dedicated to the Groupe d’Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale (GIGN), the French police force’s elite special operations unit.
Do you remember my reports about the world’s first watch with an automatic mechanical movement and a built-in mechanical altimeter? Just in case, here are the links …
Groupe d’Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale (GIGN)
GIGN was formed in 1974. In its capacity as a law enforcement agency and special operations unit, it is licensed to intervene on French soil or abroad. GIGN’s unit has 380 members, which are highly trained paratroopers, equipped to perform high-risk operations, including counter terrorism, hostage rescue and the targeting of organized crime. They execute between 6,000 and 7,000 parachute jumps a year and among them only 26 members own the rare degree of «Chuteurs Opérationnels».
When jumping, GIGN’s operatives are equipped with high-tech computerized equipment that provides them with critical data, such as distance to the ground, information they need to know before deploying a parachute. While these devices are hugely reliable, there is still a chance they will fail. In the event of such a failure, paratroopers need a back-up device. For this, GIGN turned to Oris’s Big Crown ProPilot Altimeter, the world’s first watch with an automatic mechanical movement and a built-in mechanical altimeter. GIGN acquired a watch and put it through a series of demanding tests, which it passed, leading to the partnership between Oris and GIGN.
Oris GIGN Edition Limitée
The Oris GIGN Edition Limitée is based on the Big Crown ProPilot Altimeter, but with a few aesthetic points of difference that bring the relationship with the elite French unit to life. The GIGN insignia sits on the dial and case back, and the tip of the central seconds hand is finished with the colours of the Tricolore, France’s national flag.
The case back of the Oris GIGN Edition Limitée features GIGN’s insignia, as well as the watch’s limited edition number
The Oris GIGN Edition Limit is sold in a special waterproof case with a built-in pressure release valve.
Oris GIGN Edition Limitée
Ref. No. 01 733 7705 4184 TS
Ø 47.00mm, with meter scale
Limited to 500 pieces
• Oris automatic mechanical movement Cal. 733 (SW 200-1) with date window at 3 o’clock
• Integrated Swiss mechanical barometric altimeter and barometer movement (The altimeter mechanism was developed together with the Swiss specialist Thommen), displaying air pressure and altitude
• Multi-piece stainless steel case. Water-resistant to 10 bar/100m
• Sapphire crystal domed and with anti-reflective coating on both sides
• Screwed case back, embossed with GIGN’s insignia and engraved limitation number
• Screw-in stainless steel crowns. Oris-patented altimeter adjustment and venting crown with PTFE vapour barrier at 4 o’clock
• Black dial featuring GIGN’s insignia, with printed Super-LumiNova Arabic numerals. Hour and minute hands filled with Super-LumiNova. Black central seconds hand with blue, white and red tip
• Lightweight altimeter hand made from laminated carbon fibre
• Olive textile strap with stainless steel folding clasp
• Set includes waterproof case
• Swiss retail price CHF 3,900