Baselworld – The World Watch and Jewellery Show – stimulates the rumor mill. Let me give an overview of the latest rumors I heard …
The following gossip, just to make this very clear, is of course NOT verified yet. But the gossip is real and in every rumor there is a little bit of truth as you of course all know … 🙂
The following gossip deals with the entire watch-industry and not only with Baselworld and brands that exhibit there …
- I heard that Richard Mille is for sale. Several sources tell me that the brand founded by Richard Mille will be bought soon. One of the possible buyers named is PPR (Pinault-Printemps-Redoute)
- The rumors that Audemars Piguet (AP) is for sale don´t want to die. Of course everyone at AP denies that this could be true, but the rumors are real. Again PPR is named as a potential buyer, as well as Channel.
- I heard that Chinese Investors could buy Corum. Corum seems to run out of money and Corum recently again dismissed several employees.
- I heard that Chinese Investors could by Perrelet. Perrelet recently again dismissed several employees.
- Rumors tell that Raymond Weil is still for sale. Over the last years several international banks, like Rothschild, were trying to find a buyer for Raymond Weil, but did not find one yet.
- Rumors tell that Eterna´s future will be manufacturing inexpensive watches with third-party movements. The Chinese owners obviously think the name Eterna alone is strong enough …
- Rumors tell that the new TAG Heuer-CEO could be announced during Baselworld. You all know that Jean-Christophe Babin, the current TAG Heuer-CEO, will become the new Bulgari-CEO. Two names for his succession seem to be a good bet: Giorgio Sarne, the TAG Heuer General Manager and Roberto Eggs, he is president of LVMH Northern Europe.
If you guys want to add something you might know and I have not mentioned here, please don´t hesitate. In the end we will see if this was just gossip … 🙂